Although no one really enjoys wearing braces, there are several things you can do to help make the whole experience a little smoother. One of the biggest complaints of people who wear braces is how much they hurt. Although some pain is inevitable, in most cases you shouldn’t have to be miserable while wearing braces.
Fight The Pain
These are some of the measures you can take to help ease the pain:
- You can take medication, but typically Tylenol or ibuprofen will be sufficient.
- Another helpful remedy is to rinse your mouth with a solution of warm saltwater.
- If you’re experiencing gum or cheek pain due to rubbing you can put wax on the braces to help smooth the rubbing.
- Another measure to employ is to eat softer foods, especially in the beginning of treatment and each time you have your braces tightened.
- Taking pain medicine before you visit the doctor is also a good idea.